The primary mission of VFW David Potts Jr. Post 1156 has always been and will continue to be service to veterans and service to community. Our service to veterans focuses primarily on direct support of veterans from the Montrose VA Hospital and support of charities that assist active and separated Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families. The welcome plaque on the entrance to the post on which there is a quote from Nancy Seligson, Town of Mamaroneck Supervisor, from Veterans Day 2012 provides us and our visitors a constant reminder of this mission. Our activities include:
Service to Veterans
1. For more than 60 consecutive years this post has held a picnic in August and a Holiday Party in December for patients of the Montrose VA Hospital.
2. We have made significant financial contributions to charities benefiting deployed and returning veterans and their families over the past 10 years.. The majority of our donations go to 7 carefully vetted national veterans’ charities, but we also contributed to efforts directly benefiting Westchester County veterans.
3. We conduct an annual Memorial Day Ceremony at Tompkins Park in Mamaroneck, followed by a breakfast at the Post for our members and the public.
1. We have worked in partnership with the Town of Mamaroneck to enable the Post to effectively share our facility with the Town’s Senior Citizens Center.
2. We have actively supported the efforts of the Kemper Memorial Park Preservation Fund to preserve Kemper Memorial Park.
3. We have generously supported both the Mamaroneck-Larchmont Student Aid Fund and the Rye Neck Student Aid Fund.
Our record of service is solely due to the efforts of our members past and present who have actively participated in and supported these activities over the years. We are a small but dedicated bunch that is proud both of our past service to our country and our continuing service to our community and our fellow veterans.